Sergey Tyukanov was born on the 17 of May 1955, in the town of Poronaisk on the island of Sakhalin, in Russia. He graduated from the Khabarovsk University, Graphic Art Department.
The fairy tales and legends he learns as a child (both local as Vasilisa the beauty and the deeds of the witch Babayaga, both those of other countries), characterize his artistic style, inspiring him as a muse without ever leaving him.
Quoting some of his words:
Each person has his or her own idea of the world. The picture is the window to the world of the artist, who has an opportunity to create things that are impossible in the real world. Mine is the world of the metamorphosis and paradox, that are a reality for me, that I materialize in my works
My childhood years passed far away from the so-called "civilization" and the only window to the reality that I had were childrens' illustrated books. They became my fairy tale world which, although I have grown up, I do not want to depart with even today. Art has become my philosophy, my religion, and that fairy tale world where all my fantasies and wishes come true. The world of brushes , pencils, watercolors ,and miscellaneous bottles with inks and paints , which I endlessly love, have become for me a theatre, where I organize everything in my specific order and create a spectacle to amuse myself. In this theatre I am the director, the actor and the viewer at the same time.
Sergey has taken part in more than 200 International exhibitions. Lived and worked in St-Petersburg, Russia, Montreal, Canada Works in technique of etching (for engraving), painting, drawing, watercolor, his artwork can be found in the collections of several museums and state galleries around the world, including:
- Tretyakov’s Gallery,Moscow, Russia.
- Victoria and Albert Royal Museum,London, UK.
- Bewick Museum of Engraving, UK,
- Bristol Museum, Bristol, UK.
- Cabinet of Drawing and Prints, Pisa, Italy.
- Frederikshavn Museum of Ex Libris, Denmark.
- Graphic Cabinet of English Engraver’s Society, UK.
- International Institute of Humor and Satire,Gabrovo, Bulgaria.
- Kaliningrad Regional Museum of History and Art, Russia.
- Kaliningrad State Art Gallery, Russia.
- Malbork Castle Museum, Poland.
- Mary and Leigh Block Museum of Art, Chicago, USA.
- Mazereal Center Ministry of Culture, Belgium,
- Casterlee. Museum Ex Libris,Moscow, Russia.
- Sakima Art Museum,Okinawa, Japan.
- Portland Art Museum,Gilkey Center for the Graphic Art, Oregon, USA.
- Raisio State Library, Finland.
- Riga’s Art Museum, Latvia.
Following is the list of some of his awards:
- 2011 First price Triennale of Graphic, St-Petersburg, Russia,
- Special Mention in the International Competition of Ex Libris, "Cristoforo Colombo: 1492-1992" for technique and inventiveness 1992, Genova, Italy,
- First Prize and Medal The II-Biennial of Graphic Arts, Kaliningrad State Art Gallery, Russia,
- Special Mention-Ex Libris, Torino, Italy 1987,
- Honor Diploma-Second Triennial of Small Forms Graphic, Central Exhibition Hall "Latvia", Riga.